Hear the collective sigh of relief. Paladins gained a reputation and popularity for the way its unique card loadouts operated, with 12 points being used over five cards to fine-tune each player’s unique or desired playstyle. In Patch OB64, Hi-Rez introduced a system that gained its fair share of controversy and a lot of directed anger from many Paladins players.
Cards Unbound, if you are unfamiliar. completely eliminated the old 12 point loadout system in exchange for a grindy, card level up system which increased the power of the card with each level. Prima facie this gave a veteran player a lot more power and a greater advantage in combat.
Even with this advantage many veteran Paladins were disappointed with the new system and this morning Hi-Rez Chris, former Smite Executive Producer and current Paladins Executive Producer posted a Google Doc which proposed a new loadout/card system due to the reception of Cards Unbound;
“However, we are not blind…We know this system has angered many of our most loyal fans and become a point of continuous contention in the Paladins community (and even inside of Hi-Rez). Your voice has been heard loud and clear”.
Cards Unbound will be phased out and replaced over the next major development cycle, with a new system in the following fashion;
- All Champion Cards will remain free.
- Legendary Cards will now be called Talents. Each Talent will only have a single level but will be unlocked via Champion levelling (Eg. A new Talent at Level 1, 5, 10, 15).
- New Talents will be added in time giving rise to more varied playstyles for each Champion.
- Deck/Loadout Creation will be held under a 15 Point creation system where each Champion Card will have a total of five ranks to choose from.
- Talents will have absolutely no ranks so will not contribute to the loadout cap.
- Champions will no longer have a level cap of 25, with it being like the bottle of coke I spilt earlier…uncapped.
- NO MORE CARD CHESTS.
- Working on compensation for players who have previously earned cards or levelled them up.
This new system will be added to the PTS hopefully next week according to Hi-Rez Chris, so definitely jump in and check it out and if there is something wrong or a bit off, do not hesitate to send in feedback as long as its constructive.
What do you think about this proposed change? Are you happy with the removal of Cards Unbound?